Monday, December 12, 2011

Eat, drink, and be merry

A few days ago NPR reported that 3/4 of the respondents to a recent poll said they'd rather not have a company party. Instead they want cash bonuses, gift cards, or paid time off. If corporate America is paying attention, the company holiday party may go the way of the rotary telephone by next December.

Luckily I got to enjoy a lavish party this weekend, courtesy of Microsoft. The party, held at EMP, was just for the Interactive Entertainment Business portion of the company (the other divisions have their own parties), but it was still huge. Attendees were provided with a map and a schedule. Besides the museum's regular exhibits, there was 5,900 square feet of additional tented space, and bars and food stations (catered by Wolfgang Puck) throughout all the areas. Entertainment included dancing mascots, go-go girls, a comedy show, a dance club, and performances by Blues Traveler and -- most exciting to me -- CeeLo Green (whom I watched while leaning on a case holding Michael Jackson's glove and jacket).

Because I worked in videogame journalism for a long time, I got to attend a lot of huge parties like this one for the E3 trade shows, and I love them (and miss them!). And the party really made me miss my former co-workers too! So...I'm hoping this won't be my last one. Even though I made the mistake of wearing giant high heels and could barely walk, I tried to enjoy every minute.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jen. I think I'm too old to learn to walk in them though. I felt crippled.

    ReplyDelete