Thursday, November 17, 2011

Kale and brown rice casserole

Isla, who recently turned 3 and lives across the street, is obsessed with eating kale. Specifically, kale casserole that her parents buy at some fancy-pants grocer. I've tasted it, and it's delicious, so I tried something similar based on trolling the Internet.

Here's how to make it:

Sautee about 1/4 of red pepper in olive oil, and put in bowl with 1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice, 1 cup shredded cheddar, 3 chopped green onions, 1/4 teaspoon sage, 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper. Put one cup chopped kale in an oiled casserole dish, top with rice mixture and then another cup of kale, put the covered casserole in a 375-degree oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.

If I was making this for a toddler, I would add a LOT more cheese and rice and a lot less kale, and I would chop the kale very, very fine. (I think that would help it stick together better, too!) I might also skip the herbs if your kid likes bland food. But for me, success!

1 comment: