Monday, November 21, 2011

Wide World Books & Maps

No trips planned for the immediate future? Enough travel bags to last a lifetime? Only use online travel guides? You'll still find something to buy or covet at Wide World Books & Maps. It's a browser's paradise with the usual useful and latest gear, but also other delights of fine design and even a thoughtfully curated selection of novels for those of us who travel only via armchair.

I was tempted by this lovely Taxi wallet featuring Paris, and another featuring San Francisco. If only I needed a wallet! I'm considering getting some of their massive selection of maps to frame as home decor. I love them all -- antique, city, world, transportation; how will I decide? The Lonely Planet "Not for Parents" guides for kids seem perfect for getting tweens excited about popular destinations, with info about weird food, gargoyles, martians, and all the important stuff.

Besides premium merchandise, the store seems to have good community involvement. When I popped in this past Saturday, the Gutsy Women Travelers Group was listening to one woman talk about her solo travel adventures in India. On November 29 at 7 pm, author Clark Humphrey will discuss Walking Seattle. Who wants to go with me?!

One more thing that made me love this shop: They're having customers draw hand turkeys to decorate the window display. If you're in the area, go check them out -- I guarantee they will warm your heart despite this cold rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment