Monday, November 14, 2011

To Savor Tomorrow

Last night Chris and I attended our first theatrical production in Seattle, To Savor Tomorrow, set on a flight en route to the 1962 Seattle's World's Fair. It's a Cold War spy romp served with period-appropriate cocktails and cuisine. I loved the American agent posing as a Pan Am pilot who spoke mainly in mangled cliches, such as "There's more than one way to shave a cat." He also sang "Fly Me to the Moon" accompanied by a very accomplished pianist who played throughout the production. My other favorite things were the Russian agent Svetlana's accent and the provocative dance the stewardesses did while pantomining the safety instructions.

As for the food, it must have been a lot easier to be thin before the Green Revolution! Due to my pork aversion, the only part I ate was the Bolshevik Blini -- blinis with house-made sauerkraut and beet caviar. I skipped the last two courses, Deconstructed Dim Sum, which is dungeness crab in molded pork gelatin, atop handmade noodles with impressed cilantro (pictured at right); and the Patriot Plate, which is a meatloaf of braised pork belly, sirloin, and chicken liver beside mashed potatoes and pea crisps. I was also served four cocktails and a "Dwinkie," which is a booze-soaked Twinkie. I couldn't finish them all and my stomach and head are not happy today.

Still, the whole thing was fun, and I'll definitely keep my eye out for more Cafe Nordo productions, which hopefully feature a more palate-friendly setting.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've seen Chris in a suit since well I don't know when! Sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete